Canoe Dreams

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Thoughts on Television

About 4 years ago we finally bought a 27 inch color TV. This was a momentous moment in my family because up until then we had never viewed a picture on a screen larger than 13 inches.

Actually, in 1995 we upgraded to a 13 inch TV from Wal-mart when we first moved to Seneca Falls. Say what you will, but it was color and it replaced the 13 inch black and white Hitachi TV that my husband, Brian, purchased in 1971. I’ve never been able to figure out where the Hitachi TV ended up but by the time it “disappeared” it was being held together with duct tape and had a coat hangar as an antenna. It would never have made the corner of Martha Stewart’s jail cell, but ask Brian about the TV and he will smile fondly and say “It worked great.” What’s even scarier is that this very morning, he walked up from the basement and showed me the warranty card he still keeps on that set.

Shortly after moving once again from the realm of unemployment to a full time job, I was feeling flush with cash and on a lark purchased a 27 inch Sony Flat Screen TV in the winter of 2000. Unfortunately it did not come with a hangar for an antenna and being too cheap to pay for cable, we let it sit in our living room for about 2 years and collect dust. Then once again emerging from the land of unemployment to yet another full time position, I convinced Brian to lay out $12.99 for basic cable. We now get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX and, thank almighty God, The Home Shopping Network.

Fortunately we got service in time to enjoy the general degradation of American Broadcast Entertainment. But, screw PBS. I love reality TV. In the words of Peter Sellers in the movie, “Being There”: “I like to watch.”. My favorites include “Beauty and the Geek”, “Amish in the City”, “Amazing Race”, “American Idol” and “Extreme Makeovers”. I could go on and on. If there were a reality TV show about writing essays, I would probably give this up and watch someone else do it. Fortunately or not, most of the things I love to do have not made it to reality TV. Excluding of course shows you can only see on Pay-For-View or Late Night HBO.

Normally, I try to stick to reality TV, but earlier this season I was traveling on business and found the opportunity to veg-out in my hotel room with at least 22 channels to choose from. I ended up watching “ER”, and one of the actors quoted my Father’s 3-F Rule. Right there on TV, one of the ER Physician quips “If it flies, floats or fornicates, rent it”. Now granted, my father uses a different word from fornicate, but it’s basically the same thing. TV quoted my Dad! Then I got thinking, how the hell did a bunch of screen writers steal my father’s words and is my Dad going to get any royalties for his genius? It’s kind of ironic don’t you think, that with all the Reality out there on TV, I had to find one of my father’s greatest pieces of advice, in a show that is pure fiction. Don’t you just feel the lines begin to blur?

5 Comments:

  • When Don moved in, he came with state of the art computer, audio & visual equipment (I told the mover "this is a case of boy's toys meeting girl's toys). The first time I saw his 57" TV, I asked if we could put a sheet over it because I didn't like seeing our reflection in it (talk about blurring!). We too, just have rabbit ears (and Netflix!) so we actually videotape our favorite shows (to skip the ads) and watch them, fuzziness and all. But when I really need to veg out--it is Super Nanny & Wife Swap that fascinate me. Perhaps because I'm new to both roles and I get some preverse pleasure knowing that at least I'm not that bad!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:29 AM  

  • I love your dad's 3-F rule! In fact he used it just recently; I can't remember the context. George and I always laugh about that.

    So excited about your blog! I spend way too much time at work reading blogs. I'll add yours to my list.

    Love,
    Heather

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:22 AM  

  • Not sure this is relevant, but did you know that 3 out of 4 Ithacans surveyed do NOT own a TV?

    Amazing. Crunchy. AND Granola!

    By Blogger Laura K, at 5:48 PM  

  • Hi Priscilla, This is Diane Julian, June's friend from California. Remember we got drunk together? Anyway, goody goody for you on your blog and I hope it does bring you baby steps closer to be able to write. Then maybe you can join me in my new middle age woman life stage...the idle poor! Anyway you have really inspired me to write my own blog and I will send you a link soon..thanks for the smiles I got as I read your stories...Diane

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:04 PM  

  • Friend of Gunilla in England

    I am impressed; you went, you saw, you conquered! Congrats on pushing the envelope that much farther and good luck on achieving your ambitions via your blog. You have given my own languishing ambition a swift, kick up the backside.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home