Canoe Dreams

Monday, April 16, 2007

Another Poem

The Slot Canyon


Afterwards, I was shaken.

But even when water poured over sheer cliffs,

Filling the gully with branches and stones,

Grinding the walls away,

I was never afraid of drowning.



Later as the sun warmed red rock with dim light,

I rubbed my palm across the canyon wall,

So dizzy I leaned against the sand stone face.



I should have tried to swim.

Instead I climbed a crumbling ledge to

Gather grace like small stones

Embedded in the soles of my shoes.

5 Comments:

  • I love the way you switch from humor to practicality to sensitivity and back again-like life!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:01 PM  

  • this poem evokes a quiet and sacred place - like what I experience in nature

    By Blogger Sue Young, at 10:39 PM  

  • nice

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 PM  

  • Where are you?????

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:13 PM  

  • Really, where ARE you?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home